Saturday, February 25, 2012
Salvaging The Help, a film worth watching
This work is licensed to Rose Kahendi under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That Is Life.
Sometimes, you experience a difficult season of life. And then you encounter someone who's going through something much worse than anyth...
-
I just got done watching the film Don't Look Up. I remember that I felt distinctly sad watching the earth's last moments... Perhaps...
-
When I read this article , I had to laugh. It brought to mind a conversation I once had with my friend, Maina, a Kenyan living in the US. ...
-
The Melissa Harris-Perry Show On Saturday morning (yesterday) I watched the Melissa Harris-Perry show on MSNBC. The segment of the show t...
Thank you for this insightful opinion. I enjoyed the book, but in support of my black author friends who were aggrieved by it, I stayed away from the movie. I've learned from you that I should explore for myself and make my own decisions. That is not being disrespectful to my friends.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Gayle. It can be difficult figuring out the right thing to do when the material is so sensitive and people have such strong opinions about it. But you are right: ultimately, it isn't disrespectful to your friends to explore for yourself and draw your own conclusions. Thanks for sharing!
Deletei appreciate your article, even tho i did not support the film in the theaters because it was told from a white POV and did not represent the fullness of the story of our brave, struggling, and horrendously abused Sistas. i too watched the MHP program and very much appreciated Sis. Barbara Young's participation. However, i was dismayed that her plainspoken eloquence was only given brief moments in favor of the jargonish and overly complicated analyses of those others at the roundtable. At the end she was given only 10 secs. to conclude her remarks, even though she was the only person there with real life experience on the topic at hand, something that is almost unheard of in most others of these types of discussions. i agree that we should 'seize the time' and make this a moment to amplify the struggles of housekeepers/nannies and build support for their human rights issues nationwide. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Sis. Marpessa. I have to confess that I didn't support the film in the theaters either. I waited for it to come out on DVD, then borrowed it from the library. ;)
DeleteYou are right. It was a pity that Barbara Young didn't get much time to express herself. And the scholarly jargon is always a problem. It frustrates me a lot. I often wonder what the point is of scholars doing all this amazing research and unearthing reams and reams of history if they are going to make it inaccessible to ordinary men and women.
Thank you for your thoughtful comment.